|“||Thaumaturgy... which giveth certain order to make strange works, of the sense to be perceived and of men greatly to be wondered at.||”|
– Mathematical Preface to Euclid's Elements (1570), John Dee
ThaumCraft (also known as ArcanaCraft) is a mod included in the technic pack. Thaumaturgy is the capability of a magician to work miracles. A practitioner of thaumaturgy is a thaumaturge, thaumaturgist or miracle worker. This is what this stuff is all about - drawing magic from physical objects in the form of "Vis" (pronounced 'veece') and reshaping it to perform miracles. At its core this mod allows you to turn raw matter in vis, which can then be used to power magical symbols, enchant items or even turn back into different, slightly tastier kinds of matter.
There are several items that form the basis of Thaumcraft:
- Crucible- The most basic form of crucible, it burns items you toss into it in exchange for vis. Depending on how rare an item is, a specific amount of vis (a purpleish, sparkling liquid) appears in the crucible. Be careful not to overfill the crucible, however, for if the Vis Crucible spills over, any number of unpleasant events could occur (ranging from the destruction of nearby blocks and explosions to the creation of Thaumic Slimes). Standing on a Vis Crucible deals 1/2 a heart of damage per second. Anything the Crucible cannot process is spit back out at the user.
- Crucible of Eyes- An upgrade of the standard Crucible. It has 10% more vis capacity and will output a redstone signal when it's about to overflow. It will still overflow, however. Standing on a Crucible of Eyes deals 1/2 a heart of damage per second. Anything the Crucible cannot process is spit back out at the user.
- Thaumium Crucible- An upgrade of the Crucible of Eyes. It will also output a redstone signal when it's 90% or more full, but it will never overflow, instead waiting until it has space to burn the excess items you throw into it. In this way, it can hold an infinite amount of potential vis. Standing on a Thaumium Crucible deals 1/2 a heart of damage per second. Anything the Crucible cannot process is spit back out at the user.
- Vis Conduit- Essentially, a pipe for vis. When attatched to a crucible an another object that requires vis, it will pump vis automatically to wherever it is needed (assuming that the vis could logically make the journey).
- Vis Valve- When applied a redstone signal, valves allow transfer of vis through it.
- Thaumic Infuser- An alchemic machine that is used to bind two Thaumic obejcts to each other. It only works in very specific situations, and requires a Vis supply to function. Infusers can be deactivated if a redstone signal is applied.
- Thaumic Duplicator - An alchemic machine that is used to duplicate raw materials or simple objects. It takes five times more vis to duplicate an object than you would recieve if you burned it in a crucible. It will not be able to duplicate any magical or otherwise complicated items. Duplicators can be deactivated when a redstone signal is applied.
- Vis Condenser- This thaumatic device works to draw taint from the aura as long as there is a crystal inside. It creates pure vis which is good for infusers but not dark infusers.
- Thaumic Generator - A device that generates power out of vis that can be used by Buildcraft, Industrialcraft 2, and Redpower.
- Seal Combinations- Combining blank symbols with various blocks (required block or item noted in green next to symbol name) or items in an infuser creates special magical circles/squares that can be placed on the ground or against walls. They have varying effects and their functions can be modified further by placing a rune on the symbol.
- Thaumatorium- Check out a large variety of basic items and machines for the young Thaumaturge!
- Thaumcraft Raw Materials- Stuff you need to create the many items and machines of Thaumcraft.
Useful Links and TutorialsEdit
- A guide to getting started on Thaumcraft can be found here.
- A list of all (Or most of) the items can be found here.
- A youtube video that describes a few useful recipes can be found here .
Pages in category "ThaumCraft"
The following 138 pages are in this category, out of 138 total.